EASY CRUNCH FLAXSEED CRACKERS
1 cup ground flaxseed (or half flax, half almond meal)*
2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp salt - OPTIONAL
2-3 tsp dried herbs & spices of choice - OPTIONAL
1. Preheat oven to 190 C. Prepare a large baking tray by lining with baking paper.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
3. Slowly add the 1/2 cup water, mashing it in to the ingredients as you go so your "dough" forms.
4. Scoop the mixture out on to your lined baking tray. Now, using the back of a spoon (and your fingers - I find it's easiest to use your fingertips, slightly wet), press and smooth the mixture out so it is no more than 5mm thick, like a giant thin pancake. This requires some patience and pushing the dough back together if it breaks up a bit. But getting it nice, even and thin ensures crunchy crackers, and won't take you that long.
5. Using a sharp knife, deeply score/cut your dough along desired cracker shapes. This will ensure you can break the end result into nice tidy pieces.
6. Bake in the oven for approximately 30-35 minutes (check to make sure they are not burning).
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, then break into crackers.
Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
*Please note, it is really important to get the mixture thin and even, so the crackers dry out enough during the baking process to become “crackers”. If they are too thick they will be chewier! If you find that most of the crackers are cooked through but a few right in the centre of the tray are a little soft, you can just bake those few again for 5-10 minutes until they've dried out more.