ONE PAN ONLY BAKED EGGS
4-6 rashers of bacon
12-15 asparagus spears (about 350 grams)
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
2-3 branches fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450F. Wash asparagus thoroughly, as they may be gritty, and use a vegetable peeler to remove the bottom two-thirds of peel.
2. In a 9x13 roasting pan or Pyrex, lay the rashers (slices) of bacon. Place in the oven and cook for about 8 minutes or until crispy.
3. Remove pan from oven and carefully transfer the bacon to a paper towel. Drain off most of the bacon fat, leaving about a tablespoon in the pan.
4. Add the asparagus to the same pan and shake it around gently to coat the vegetables in grease. Arrange asparagus in a single layer and sprinkle it with lemon zest, thyme leaves, and pepper.
5. Roast asparagus for about 8 minutes or until it begins to soften. Remove pan from the oven and gently crack the four eggs on top of the asparagus. Return the dish to the oven and roast another 4-5 minutes or until eggs have reached the desired doneness. Return bacon to the pan.